Friday, September 25, 2009

dvd cover for the RSC production

The thrillingly evocative dvd cover for the RSC production has been released:



I love this. Usually it's Hamlet and the skull (see top right for what I was expecting) or the washed out face of the actor. This cuts straight to one of the symbolic heart of the play, the fracturing of Hamlet's personality and how he has to split himself into pieces in order to survive (the irony being that it doesn't work). Plus, look at that certificate. I'm hoping for a particularly bloody duel at the end.

The DVD is now available for pre-order direct from the RSC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that the dvd hasn't gone through certification yet and that the 12 certificate is speculative on the part of the producers. Believe it or not, language might have something to do with it. (I wouldn't be surprised if the broadcast ends up with a complain or two. All the better for it).

I like the cover as well, it defies expectations, and comercially it's a brave choice.